Marilyn Monroe was known for being the ultimate American Sex Symbol. She was a hollywood star admired by many and was the epitome of femininity. She was a blonde with curves, a killer walk and a pair of red lips to go with it all.
Although red lips have been around for many years Marilyn's pout was one to inspire other women to be daring enough to rock the look. . .
Today there are many women who love showing off classic red lips and when I go out red lipstick is my go to make-up aid just because it makes a makeup application that much easier and faster!
DITA VON TEESE
The best way to wear red lips is to start with a clean canvas, a clean moisturized face, applying a good concealer and foundation to even out the skin. Maybe a little contouring with some matte bronzer on the hollows of your cheeks. Minimal color on the eyes is what is recommended since lips are the main attraction of the look. Eyes should be left clean and simple with maybe just a winged eye liner and some black mascara to make you look classy and polished. A good example of what I am describing is the makeup application Christina Aguilera has in the picture below...
CLASSIC TIMELESS LOOK.
Here I am with red lips...
On all of these pictures I am wearing the same shade of lipstick which is Rimmel London's Moisture Renew Lipstick in 'Red Alert'. It has been my absolute favorite lipstick since like forever! The color is rich and very pigmented. The consistency is rich and glides on smooth on the lips. It doesn't leave a greasy feeling behind and it doesn't dry out my lips at all and the best part is------It last all day long! It retails for about $ 7 dollars at pharmacies like Duane Reade, Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS in the Rimmel London Section of the makeup aisle. This shade really goes well for women of all shades of skin color. I totally recommend this color and brand for every daring siren out there!
Sassy Celebrity Quotes...
“It's all or nothing with my makeup. If I get dressed up, I'll go to an extreme. I'll wear foundation, bright blue or bright red lipstick with one of my weird purple wigs.”
"Red Lipstick and Sandwiches" -
Scarlett Johansson (on what makes her feel pretty to PEOPLE Mag)
What is your favorite RED Lipstick???
Kim Kardashian Rocks bright lips!
So I was looking through some pictures to get new inspiration for makeup looks. I stumbled upon these beautiful pictures of Kim Kardashian. I have always been a huge fan of hers but when I saw these pictures I just fell in love with this look!
Notice how Kim put the focus on her lips as opposed to her eyes for this shoot...
This tone of pink is just gorgeous on her complexion and it is perfect for spring which is also right around the corner.
I don't know about you guys but I will definitely rock
a bright lip this season! LOL
So I re-created my own version of Kim's look with a couple of changes and here are some pictures...
Step by Step guide of my version with visuals...
Start your makeup application with a clean moisturized face.
Apply concealer under dark eye circles, dark spots, scars and any hyper pigmented areas on skin.
Apply a even layer of foundation. Remember, a little goes a long way and Blend, Blend, Blend!
Now we have a clear canvas to to start!
1. Apply Eye Shadow primer all over eyelid and brow bone. A good eye shadow primer is Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, Eyeshadow Base .34 fl oz (10 ml)
2. Apply a light gray shadow on lids ending at the crease. The palette I used was Coastal Scents 88 Eye Shadow Palette, Ultra Shimmer I used the second row from the right, the fourth color down from the top. I can best describe it as a light shimmery gray bronzed color.
5. Keep adding black into the outer corners to add definition... also add a light shimmery eye shadow on brow bone...
6. Fill in your eyebrows with a color that is lighter than your hair color. My hair is Black so I use Dark Brown. My favorite is Milani Brow Fix Medium #02which is what I used on the picture below.
7. Apply liquid Eyeliner on the top of your eyelids, also apply regular black eyeliner on bottom lashline/ waterline, put on some mascara and Waa-Laaah! your done with your eyes!
Next Step is to contour cheeks using a deep bronzed color. I used NARS Bronzing Powder Laguna.
Then apply a rosy pink blush like Kim K's I used MAC Blush Powder - Desert Rose - 6g/0.21oz.
And lastly, PUCKER UP and put on some bright pink lipstick! I used MAC Pro Amplified Creme lipstick -- SHOW ORCHID.
As you can see my look is a little more dramatic than Kim's but it was definitely inspired by hers!
Im OBSESSED with instagram! LOL
PRODUCTS I USED:
What is the best way to vamp up your makeup? ANSWER: SMOKEY EYES! Here's a step by step guide on how to achieve the most marvelous smoked look!
1. Start of with clean lids and dab on some eyeshadow primer starting down at the eyelids and working your way up to the brow bone. Keep on dabbing until the product disappears onto the skin.
2. Grab an eyeshadow palette with dark hues such as: dark brown, black, bronze, or you can also experiment with colors such as an intense purple or navy blue shades.
3. Set aside four colors that compliment each other from the palette of your preference. Differentiate them from LIGHTEST to DARKEST. The lightest being #1, second lightest being #2, dark being #3, and darkest being #4. (Numbering the shades in your head is just a technique to help you if you do not know what you are doing)
4. Apply shade #3 all over your crease. You can find the crease by tilting your head back and finding the deep fold. Using a fluffy brush blend using circular motions working your way from the outside corner inward.
5. Apply shade #2 onto lids concentrating on depositing as much color by using patting motions.
6. Apply shade #4 onto the outer crease using an angled brush concentrating on depositing dark color. Go over with the same fluffy brush to soften any harsh edges.
7. Apply shade #1 all over brow bone blending it well with some of the crease color so streaks of color won't show.
Optional: you can apply any other light shade with a metallic shimmer on the inner corners of your eyes, that way you'll have that "wide awake look"
8. Finish off with black mascara focusing on the outer lashes brushing upwards. You can also apply some on your bottom lashes.
Optional: you can line your waterline with black eye liner for a more intense look.
AND WA-LLAHHHH! Your DONE!
This is a smokey eye using blue tones, I wore red lipstick because I was feeling daring lol. But my advice is to keep lips neutral.Tips: While going for the "smokey look" try not to use dark colors on lips, let your eyes be the statement. you can dab on a nude color, light pink or even a clear gloss. Good Luck! and share your results! XOXO.